- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1983
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh, 1980
Tony has more than 30 years of experience as a trial lawyer and commercial litigator. During the last two decades, he has concentrated his practice in the area of unfair competition. Most recently, he was lead trial counsel in an action brought by Clark Western Dietrich Building Systems, LLC against several of its competitors for violations of the Ohio Deceptive Trade Practices Act/common law unfair competition. Recently his clients have been awarded more than $50 million in damages in cases of unfair trade practices.
Tony has handled notable antitrust cases, including an action brought on behalf of the developers of an independent power facility against an electric utility, which resulted in the largest buyout of an independent power project in the history of Pennsylvania. In addition to antitrust matters, he focuses on contract disputes, construction litigation, insurance coverage, product liability and tax-exempt litigation. He is a Director of the Firm and former Chair of the Litigation Group.
Tony’s representative cases have included breach of warranty litigation against a machine manufacturer for defective machinery used in manufacturing operations and a multi-district litigation involving claims by the United Mine Workers of America pension funds against coal companies for pension fund contributions.
He has represented clients in many other scenarios, such as a product liability action brought on behalf of the estate of a deceased helicopter pilot for death caused by a defective component which resulted in the helicopter crashing and killing the pilot and three passengers.
Tony also was counsel in an antitrust action brought on behalf of cardiologists against a hospital and competing cardiologists.
Tony’s portfolio of experience also includes handling trademark and patent infringement litigation in federal court and proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board; environmental insurance coverage litigation on behalf of policyholders; prosecution and defense of construction claims; and litigation brought on behalf of public charities to obtain tax-exempt status.
During his career, Tony has served as a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association and its Statutory Law Committee, as well as the Antitrust Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Honors and Achievements
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers of America in the field of Administrative/Regulatory Law