- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd and 6th Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1998
- B.A., Journalism, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1985
Barbara is an experienced litigator who represents businesses and individuals in a range of matters, including trade secret and non-competition covenant cases, securities litigation and accounting firm defense, technology performance and licensing disputes and publishing and advertising controversies. She has served as lead counsel in jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations.
She has been a Director of the Firm since 2005 and serves as Chair of the Litigation Group. Barbara previously served as Chair of the Firm’s Recruiting Committee.
In addition to her general litigation practice, Barbara has extensive experience counseling clients in document retention issues and publishing matters, including pre-publication review and public records access. She also has defended newspapers and individuals in libel and invasion of privacy litigation.
Prior to attending law school, Barbara worked as a journalist, writing about politics and government for a national group of newspapers. Her journalism career included assignments as a statehouse bureau chief and Washington, D.C. correspondent, covering the United States Congress, White House and Pentagon beats.
Barbara was named a Paul Miller Fellow of the Freedom Forum in Arlington, Virginia.
Select Recent Representative Cases
- In re Winstar Communications Securities Litig., (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York)
- The Valspar Corporation v. Van Kuren, (U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania)
- Harco National Insurance Company v. Grant Thornton, LLP, (North Carolina Business Court, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Seebach America Inc. v. Seetech LLC, et al, (United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia)
- Joe Solo v. Jeremy Dawson and Shiny Toy Guns, LLC, et al., (United States District Court for the North District of California)
- Viad Corp v. C. Alan Cordial, et al, (U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania)
- Health Care Logistics v. Adonix Transcomm, (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio)
- Uniontown Newspapers v. Lawrence Roberts, (Supreme Court of Pennsylvania)
Barbara serves as a volunteer attorney in the Pittsburgh Arts Council’s Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts program.
Barbara has served as a presenter and instructor at seminars on trade secret protection, non-compete covenant drafting and enforcement, document retention and preservation, e-discovery, and attorney-client privilege. She recently served as a panelist on the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Annual e-Discovery Symposium.
She has published articles in the Cohen & Grigsby Review, including “New Federal Rules Increase the Importance of Implementing and Complying with Internal Electronic Data Retention Destruction Policies” and “Protections and Remedies under the Pennsylvania Trade Secrets Act.” She has been quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on public records issues.