Lorna J. ScharlackenDirector
Lorna is a Director of the Firm and a member of its Estates and Trusts Group. She represents individuals and families in estate planning matters, with a special emphasis on high net worth families, charitable giving, business succession planning, the transfer of wealth through multigenerations and federal estate tax matters. Lorna also counsels personal representatives/executors and trustees in the administration of estates and trusts.
She has nearly two decades of experience in estate planning and administration, and enjoys working with families to develop strategies to promote positive relationships among family members, to reduce tax liabilities, preserve wealth and meet charitable goals. Moreover, Lorna is experienced in complex commercial transactions ranging from private equity and venture capital financing to mergers and acquisitions. Representative public and private corporate clients have included: technology/software development; restaurant franchises; alternative energy; private investment management; and biopharmaceuticals.
Prior to joining Cohen & Grigsby, Lorna was a partner with Harter Secrest & Emery, LLP, in Naples, Florida; a partner with Scharlacken & Associates P.A., also located in Naples, Florida; and an associate with Schulte Roth & Zabel, in New York City, where she began her legal career. Prior to law school, Lorna was a social worker with the State of Florida.
- Member, the Professional Advisor’s Council, The Community Foundation of Collier County
- Member, Estate Planning Council of Naples
- Member, Collier County Women’s Bar
- Member, Collier County Bar Association
- Real Property Probate Section Member, The Florida Bar
- AV® PreeminentTM rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Lorna is a regular speaker and moderator at seminars and frequently gives presentations about estate and tax planning. She presents to professional and community groups regarding estate planning, business succession planning, estate and trust administration, and other related topics. In addition, Lorna is often asked by local trust companies and banks to speak to their clients. Her seminar topics have included “Are you a Widow or Prepared to Become a Widow?,” “Estate Planning Bloopers,” “Who Gets the Family China?,” “Recent Changes to Federal Estate Tax Laws,” “Advance Healthcare Directives in Florida,” “Estate Planning for the Family Business Owners,” “Fundamentals of Estate and Trust Administration,” “How to Know Whether a Living Trust is Right for You,” “How To Protect Your Children,” “Estate Planning for Second Marriages and Beyond,” “Ten Things Every Woman Should Know About Estate Planning,” and “Estate Planning for Same Sex Marriages” among others.
Lorna is a published author in the guide, “Florida Estate Planning,” West’s Florida Practice Series, a Thomson Reuters company, 2010-2011 edition, where she authored chapters 26-32 of Volume 13, as well as other professional publications, including “Strategies for Trusts and Estates in Florida, 2012 ed.: Leading Lawyers on Analyzing Recent Developments and Navigating the Estate Planning Process in Florida (Inside the Minds), where she authored Chapter 3: “Utilization of Living Trusts as an Estate Planning Strategy for Floridians,” as published by Aspatore Books, January 1, 2012.
- Author, “The Many Benefits of Generosity” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2015
- Author, “Ten Things Every Woman Should Know About Estate Planning” East Naples United Methodist Church, February 2014
- Co-Author, “Digital Asset Planning” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2013
- Co-Author, “The Benefits of Florida Residency” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2012
- Co-Author, “Why in the World Would I Need a Living Trust Now?” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2011
- Author, “Do I Need a Living Trust,” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2009
- Author, “Alzheimer’s Disease and Estate Planning,” Health & Wellness Magazine, November 2008
- Author, “Estate Planning in the Event of Illness or Incapacity,” Health & Wellness Magazine, October 2008
- Co-Author, “Estate Planning for Business Owners,” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2008
- Author, “Do You Need a Living Trust?” Health & Wellness Magazine, March 2008
- Co-Author, “Living Wills: What we Learned from the Death of Terry Schiavo,” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2006
- Co-Author, “The Pitfalls of Owning Real Estate Located Outside of Florida,” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2005
- Co-Author, “Decoupling States: Reaction to Changing Estate Tax Laws,” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2004
- Co-Author, “Navigating Through a Difficult Time: What to Do Following the Death of a Spouse or Parent,” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2003
- Professional Advisors Council, Community Foundation of Collier County
- Board of Directors, Friends of the Library of Collier County, Inc
- Director, Heil Luthringer Foundation
- Endowment Committee Member, East Naples United Methodist Church
- Advisory Board Member and Director, MS Home – the Multiple Sclerosis Center of Southwest Florida (2002-2008)