Matthew E. ShamesDirector
Matt is a Director in the Firm’s Real Estate, Public Finance, Affordable Housing and Corporate & Tax Groups. His practice focuses on real estate development and financing, emerging business technologies and general transactional and corporate matters. He represents commercial developers in the acquisition, financing and development of retail, office, residential and industrial properties, landlords and tenants involved in lease negotiations, and condominium developers in all aspects of forming complex mixed-use and residential condominium projects. Matt also advises clients in connection with various commercial transactions and general corporate matters, and represents borrowers and lenders in various financing transactions.
Prior to joining the legal profession, Matt worked for 8 years in the high technology sector, including co-founding Interactive Ensemble Inc., a web and application development firm, in 1997. Matt also served as Executive Director of JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., a non-profit corporation associated with the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, from August 2011 until December 2012.
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member of Board of Directors, JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., a Pennsylvania non-profit corporation
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, currently teaching Legal Writing for the Transactional Lawyer: Drafting Agreements
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2005
- Editor-in-Chief, Law Review
- Senior Editor, JURIST
- B.A., American Civilization (major)/English (minor), University of Pennsylvania, 1990